Ten reasons to love Minnesota — and especially Lake of the Isles — on the last day of February 2010.
1. Puddles are taking the place of icebergs.
2. People and pets have ear-to-ear grins for complete strangers.
3. The lake still doubles as a hockey rink —
4. — and a cross country ski trail —
5. — and a fishing hole.
6. A man runs by in shorts —
7. — and a tank.
8. Someone stops to photograph a filthy crusty black snow bank —
9. — and another uses a gloved finger to write a message in a surprisingly virgin stretch of white —
10. “Have a nice day,” punctuated by a smiley face.